Monday, April 30, 2012

A Floral with Attitude

I love youtube for all its vids on painting.... speed painting, lessons, art show reviews. It's so full of information and inspiration. Last weekend I saw a video on drip painting. I would reference it, but for the life of me, i cant find it anymore. But anyway, it inspired me to give drip painting a try. 

Of course the artist made it look soooo easy. And her painting was sooooo good. But I struggled with it. The paint was gloppy, i learned to dilute it more efficiently. It went where i didnt want it to go. I swirled it, moved it, sopped it up. Let it dry outside for a solid 2 days. Didnt like it. Painted a dark background, added some detail. Didnt like it. 

I had to let it sit and think about it for a couple of days. Looked at it a lot. Thought about it. What was missing? I let it settle in my mind. I decided it needed some texture, so i broke out the glossy gel and applied it to the background. 

It looked alive to me then. It looked funky, and somewhat deviant. A deviant floral. Hmm! This floral has an attitude! I finally decided i didnt hate it so much anymore. 

Here is the finished painting and 2 pictures of the process. Experimentation, part and parcel of the freedom that defines art. Hope you like it!

The finished painting:

Paint applied, set out to dry:
Background painted in:


1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love the 'what ifs' that a new technique offers? Sometimes the idea of it just has to simmer until you come across the perfect application for it. I enjoy the utube tutorials too. I've gleaned a lot of inspiration from them. Thanks for your blog posts and artwork. Pam

    ReplyDelete